Nuclear energy research and innovation projects are funded through the EURATOM programme – not Horizon 2020. The current work programme runs from 2014 to 2018 and the funding regime and the rules for participation are the same as those for Horizon 2020.
The objective of the Euratom programme is to pursue nuclear research and training activities with an emphasis on continually improving nuclear safety and radiation protection. The 2016-17 work programme has the following objectives
- Safe operation of nuclear systems
- Contribute to the development of solutions for the management of radioactive waste
- Foster radiation protection
- Management of research reactor availability in Europe
- Support to the development of nuclear competences at EU level
- Fission/fusion cross-cutting actions
Where appropriate, social science and humanities, access to transnational research infrastructures, international cooperation with Third Countries, and dissemination, Open Access and public outreach are encouraged.