The European Commission has made open access to research publications a general principle of projects funded by the EU Research Framework Programmes, namely FP7 and Horizon 2020.
- Horizon 2020 and FP7 require open access to all peer-reviewed journal articles.
- ‘Gold’ fees e.g. Article Processing Charges (APCs) are eligible costs for reimbursement, during the lifetime of the project.
- Embargo periods for ‘Green’ (repository) open access are 6 months (STM)/12 months (social sciences/humanities).
- Deposit the published version or final accepted manuscript in a repository; as soon as possible and at the latest upon publication.
- Make it open access - either by the paid route (Gold), or self-archiving in a repository (Green) within 6 (12) months of publication.
- The publication record must include set statement with funder and grant number; publication date, length of embargo period and a persistent identifier (e.g. a DOI).
- Underlying research data should be deposited in a data repository.
For more information visit the European Commission tab on the Open Access Oxford website.